This cookie recipe never fails me. It’s so good and never lasts more than a couple days in the cookie jar. Make some with nuts and others without and tell me which ones you prefer.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Credit to Smitten Kitchen again!
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) (115 grams) unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch (1cm) pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups (175 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (200 grams) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (130 grams) pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)
Adjust the oven rack to the top third of the oven and preheat to 300F (150C).
Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
Beat the sugars and butters together until smooth. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda.
Stir together the flour and salt, then mix them into the batter. Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts if you’re including.
Scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon (5cm) balls and place 8 balls, spaced 4 inches (10cm) apart, on each of the baking sheets.
Bake for 18 minutes, or until pale golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
I’ve refrigerated cookie dough balls to cook later (these are delicious freshly baked). They worked out great and just require that you bring them to room temp before baking.
This is a great sandwich for parties. The briny olive salad cuts through the rich provolone and fatty salami. And ham, I mean, come on!!
These are French rolls made by Safeway and they’re perfect since they don’t get soggy but aren’t too crunchy. Your belly and the roof of your mouth will thank you.
Party Sandwiches (Mufalettas)
- Olive salad (see below)
- 1 lb of thinly sliced salami
- 1 lb of thinly sliced ham (I like Boarshead)
- 1/2 lb of sliced provolone
- 3 packs of Safeway French rolls (4 in each) or other
- 1 cup green pimento olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalmata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, chopped
- 2 carrots, minced
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Mix it all together.
Assemble sandwiches with 2 heaping tablespoons of olive salad, 1 piece of provolone, 3 slices of ham and about 6-8 slices of salami.
Cut and serve with a side of giardiniera pickled veggies.
If your tree is poppin like mine, there’s lots of lemonade in your future. This is the best recipe with the perfect balance of tartness and sweetness. It’s definitely a fan favorite and the kids like making it too!
- 1 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 6 cups water
Boil 2 cups water and mix in the sugar until dissolved. Add lemon juice and remaining water. Pop it in the fridge to cool completely. Or if you’re like us, grab a glass loaded with ice and drink some immediately.