The other night was a warm one (I know, it’s Summer and it’s supposed to be warm). Well in our little hometown, we’re usually blanketed in coastal fog June through August which makes it super chilly and wet.
So given the rarity (and desire not to “cook”), our family celebrated the Summer’s bounty with a Mediterranean chopped salad over quinoa. It was scrumptious. In fact, I’m all ready to make it again along with the fried squash blossoms from last night.
Mediterranean chopped salad
- 1 medium zucchini quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 small summer squash quartered lengthwise and sliced (great for color)
- 1 medium cucumber diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 handful of black olives sliced
- A good hunk of Harley Farms feta cheese broken up with your fingers
- 2 small heirloom tomatoes diced
- 2 stalks of celery sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup (or a mini handful) of fresh mint leaves chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- drizzle of olive oil
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar
Mix first nine ingredients in a bowl.
Put cooked quinoa (I liked it a bit warm but it’s also great cold) into a bowl. Drizzle the quinoa with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Dress with the chopped salad. Eat!
Note: this can be made a day ahead. But don’t blame me if you can’t keep your paws out of the dish.