Do you have lots of people to feed and want to give them something scrumptious and filling? Check out my BFF’s recipe for veggie chili. It’s a hit every time.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- a large handful of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 1/2 TBSP chili powder
- 2 TBSP ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 (16-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bottle of beer (preferably something amber or darker)
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, mushrooms and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add sugar and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer on low for 45 minutes or until desired thickness (I usually cook it for about an hour).
You could add meat (during the saute step) if you like but it’s really not needed.
Enjoy with sour cream, cheese, diced white onion, cilantro and avocado. Perfect for Super Bowl or a big party.