I have to admit it. I’m the picnic-er who always passes on the potato salad (I also always want to spell potato with an “e” but that’s a whole other post). It’s just not appealing to me to eat mayo and cold, smashed potatoes and pickles in one dish.
That is until I ate THIS potato salad. I couldn’t believe when I went back specifically for seconds of just potato salad and then again for 3rds, 4ths and 5ths. I crave this now whenever we BBQ. I just had it again with BBQ pulled pork sandwiches (with onion rings and coleslaw in the sammy). I also don’t eat coleslaw unless it’s in a pulled pork sandwich. The potato salad is a perfect side for BBQ. It’s also a perfect side for Summer.
Adapted from the Pioneer Woman Cooks
The Best Potato Salad
- 8-10 small/medium russet potatoes, cut into quarters.
- 5 green onions, chopped
- A good two handfuls of cornichons (small pickles), sliced
- 4 hard boiled eggs*, chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise (not miracle whip!)
- 2 TBSP yellow mustard
Add potatoes to a pot of salted water and put on high. Boil and cook until they’re just tender enough for a fork to easily pierce a potato piece.
Remove from water and place in bowl. Peel. Add mayo, mustard and spices. Mash until it’s almost mashed potatoes. It should still have a few chunks. Fold in chopped eggs, cornichons and green onion.
* place eggs in a pot of water. Place on the stove uncovered on high. Once boiling, turn off the heat, cover the pot and set the timer to 13 mins. Remove from the pot and peel under running cold water.