One thing we can count on, living in Northern California on the coast, is a few foggy days during the summer. Ok, a lot of foggy days. Today was one of those days. So, that calls for some heart-warming soup. This one came out so good.
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced about 1/2″ thick
- 3 carrots, cut on the diagonal
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced in half then in 1/2″ thick 1/2 moon shaped pieces
- 1 large red potato, diced
- 1 handful of green beans, cut in2″ lengths
- 1/4 head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 can of red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can of fire roasted chopped tomatoes
- 3-4 handfuls of dried conchiglie or penne pasta
- 4-5 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- Fresh basil
- Grated Parmesan
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
In a large stock pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and potatoes and about 2 tsp salt. Cook for 5 mins. Add thyme, oregano, zucchini, bell peppers, pasta, 4 cups of stock and tomatoes. Cook for 10 mins. Add green beans, cabbage and kidney beans. Cook until pasta and potatoes are tender. Add stock if needed and salt to taste. Once cooked, add fresh basil and top with Parmesan.
Enjoy with a buttered baguette.