We’re pretty avid yogurt eaters + I’ve always wanted to try to make yogurt + being stuck at home + last tub of store bought yogurt in fridge + have instant pot = motivation to make yogurt (finally!)
This came out so well. I topped it with a bit of my homemade plum jam, granola, pecans, chia and help seeds.
Shelter In Place Yogurt
- 8 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Add milk to Instant Pot, close and lock the lid. Select yogurt setting; adjust pressure to boil. This can take up to 1 hour.
- Remove the insert with a pot holder and set on a trivet on the counter to cool until the milk reaches 100 to 110 degrees F, use a candy thermometer to keep track (it took me about 30 mins) set aside 1 cup milk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt and reserved 1 cup milk. Stir into remaining milk in the insert. Add sugar and vanilla.
- Return insert into the Instant Pot. Select yogurt setting, set automatically at 8 hours. For thicker and tangier yogurt, set for 9-10 hours.
- Transfer to storage containers; cover and chill until cold, about 6-8 hours, or up to 10 days.